Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
A Pleasant Discovery - Tyre Mounting

Every once in awhile you get a tyre / rim that just don't play well together and I normally prep things with a little talc to keep the tube from sticking to the tyre and a little dish soap and water works pretty well as a tyre mounting solution for troublesome combinations but has to be kept wet as dried soap gets sticky.

I was changing the tyres on my auto bike, which is the folder that lives in the boot of my car, and the Comet Primos I run in the summer have always been a pain in the keester to get mounted up front... the usual suspects were not helping and then I got to thinking.

My daughter has luxurious long hair that tangles easily so we buy Mane and Tail detangler and conditioner and this has got to be one of the slipperiest things known to mankind... I have accidentally sprayed a little on the tile floor and it reduces friction to absolute zero.

I now think I have discovered the best tyre mounting compound ever devised... I sprayed a little around the bead where things were sticky, inflated the tyre to a little beyond it's 100 psi rating and poppity pop, the tyre seated itself without any profanity on my part.

Thinking it might also work on wooden drawer slides...