View Single Post
Old 04-18-13, 12:18 PM
Western Flyer 

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone gravel bike Dahon MU folder w/2x8 speed internal drive train

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TheJBJester
Good day everyone!

I am leaving for San Fran in 8 days upon my bicycle. I will be starting my ride from Port Angeles and taking the 101 or coast the entire way. I am curious if there is anyone out there that is reading this that has also done that ride? If so, I would be more than happy to hear any suggestions you have about places to eat, see, avoid etc.

This is also my first bike tour, so any gear suggestions that you guys have would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Jesse
Be aware the Olympic Peninsula around Forks and the Hoh River is one of the rainiest places of Earth! Bring good rain gear. The odds of riding through the area in the spring without getting wet are nil. On the other hand don't race through. Rialto Beach, the Hoh Rain Forest are must see experiences. Sol Duc Hot Springs are a bit touristy, but the water is hot and the scenery is beautiful.

Get your provisions at Forks and Kalaloch. There is not much in between on the Peninsula. Look for Ray's Food Place for groceries from Central Oregon and Northern California. They are the best. If you have multi purpose tires consider getting USFS maps for some wonderful backcountry riding, which among other benefits lets you miss the sprints through the 101 tunnels. Alternately make sure you have a very bright flashing tail light. I used two flashers through the one tunnel I raced through last fall.

- Gordon Hempton: One Square inch of Silence