View Single Post
Old 04-18-13, 09:34 PM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
I paid attention again during last ride this evening. It happened much less (I had readjusted the limit screws a little yesterday, not sure if related), only about twice during the 30 min ride, each lasting less than 1 minute (when it happened, I shifted the gear for a short while, then shifted back, and no more tick). I noticed, unlike what I said before (sorry!), it seems to happen when pedaling the right crank down, but the tick sound lasts longer than that down-pedaling. It's very light tick sound, not like any rubbing.

Originally Posted by OneGoodLeg
maybe free wheel body is messed up? Based on your decribed pedaling cadence, it's not your bottom bracket.

Does the noise happen if you back pedal?
Does the back pedaling when the ticking starts, stop the noise?
Are you using double walled rims with a cavity? I had a deep V rim that had debris trapped in the V that made a ticking noise.

-Diagnosing ticks can be a bugger.
How to check the free wheel body? The name "free wheel" suggests to me it's possible. I'm totally clueless. If I back pedal, then the tick sound is the normal back-pedaling sound. Point is that sound is not supposed to happen when forward pedaling. No double walled rim cavity. Again it's not debris or any rubbing with foreign object (cable, shoe,...).

Originally Posted by kv501
Barrel adjuster rattling?
Not familiar with that.

Originally Posted by auchencrow
I'd suspect the chain could be ratcheting on the pulleys.
Are the 2 derailleur pulleys perfectly aligned to the cogs in each of the indexed positions?
As far as I see at home, they are aligned.

Again the sound is very smooth and light. But since it normally shouldn't be there, I am a little worried if it's something getting looser and looser and one day may get an accident.