Old 04-20-13, 03:43 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Regardless of your expectations, it's always good to be clear about what we're talking about here. I understand the distinctions you make between the robustness of the UT and PT crank designs, and agree the UT design is better. However, the potential problems of the tapered spindle PT design are not the same thing as actual problems, and as with most things in life, compromises, such as accepting marginally higher risk probability, need to be made. In other words, superior design does not necessarily yield superior results in application, unless the application is peace of mind, in which case then, 'superior design' it is!

Using PT does not mean there will certainly be creaking, just as using UT does not assure us there will not be a problem. UT does eliminate the risk of potential problems that could arrive from manufacturing tolerance problems related to the PT tapered spline design, but the issue is not really if PT is a 'crap design' as you say, but rather if there is a high probability of recognizing a problem with PT, and whether the cost of upgrading to UT is commensurate with that probability.

So yes, PowerTorque is is not so good a design in an absolute sense as UltraTorque, but PT is not certain to be a problem for most riders, under most circumstances, I don't think. I don't do exhaustive studies of the nature and frequency of complaints between PT and UT, but I do a fair amount of bicycle reading online and in magazines, and it doesn't seem that PT is major sore spot for riders, aside from the need to 'tool-up' or take it in to a shop for service.

I also agree Ultrashift is a nice quality to have, but I think it is wholly appropriate for Campy to charge more for accoutrements; at least, needing to 'powershift' click for each upshift just as the reigning UCI World Road Race champion and reigning Tour de France champion have to on their Shimano systems, is preferable to me than, say, sacrificing finish quality or getting a dramatically less durable drivetrain for the same money.

My sense is...you have never worked on a Power Torque crank. There has been outcry on other forums...most notably Roadbikereview on the Campy forum.
If you are interested...there is an engineer over there that really got into with Campy on the design. I side with his findings and you can find his elaborate findings if you look.

I really couldn't make out your last comparison with Shimano...but if you like Campy, I would say you are a perfect candidate to own PT and I strong encourage you to do so.