View Single Post
Old 04-21-13, 07:10 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by zeb1117
building up a wheel set, still trying to decide on spokes. 28h in the rear 24 in front. Powertap g3 rear, cycleops matching front hub, stans no tubes alpha 340 rims. Now, spokes: Wanna do 2x in back, and radial up front, but what to use?!?!?! Its gonna be a light wheelset, the stans no tubes are super light. My original choice for spoke was either the DT revolutions or Sapim Laser (To be lightweight but keep cost down compared to aerolites or cx-ray). But ive been told those may not yield a very stiff wheel. While i realize stiffness isnt a hugely important attribute, and i only weigh 140 pounds, but it does feel nice to ride a nice stiff wheelset (currently riding easton ea70s and theyre very stiff and very nice). What are your opinions on spoke choice? If i go with dt super comps will i get a significantly stiffer wheel? what say you?

thanks!
Yes, your rim is very light, but the tires you have to choose from are very heavy compared to the roadie favorites like the Conti GP 4000 and others in the 190-210g range. You will end up with very nearly the same weight complete rolling wheel as if you used conventional tubed tires on a sturdier rim. No-tubes do have some advantages, but the weight advantage is a mirage.