View Single Post
Old 04-24-13, 03:23 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
google "downtown PDX and traffic calming

oh, SW 4th. right. how Northwest of me to forget downtown Portland. I googled some select terms about portland cycling and heres what came up....

Hawthorne isn't a 'woonerven' neither is 4th or MLK. to the best of my recollection, the salmon street greenway is adjacent to hawthorne. the greenways are what passes in portland for dutch style woonerven.

Powell isn't limited access on the entire east side of the river, it may limit access to riders unwilling to ride in fast arterial traffic, perhaps spare wheel shies away from Powell if he thinks its limited access. Uncomfortable for many cyclists - absolutely. limited access? hardly, its just another busy, portland arterial road most cyclists shy away from.

I've ridden all across greater portland at typical commute times, ridden the bridge waves of commuters on hawthorne and the east side -maybe i passed you one morning? explored portland fully by bike. ridden there extensively. Ridden all the bridges across the river save the interstates.

just so everyone's clear arterial roads on portland like NE sandy, SW 4th, MLK or Hawthorne aren't portlands answer to dutch style cycling facilities.

Portland has an extensive network of neighborhood greenwaysthat parallels these main routes, that are portlands answer to woonerven, not intrepid cyclists 'taking the lane' on the arterial roads around town.

Last edited by Bekologist; 04-24-13 at 07:14 AM.