Old 04-24-13, 04:30 PM
Niles H.
eternalvoyage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I think that you still misstate even in that case. The alcohol option can be and usually is lighter until you are carrying largish amounts of fuel. For most that means alcohol is lighter if restock points are less than once every week to ten days. Other fuel gain the weight advantage only when larger amounts of fuel are carried. For me that means that my alcohol stove is the lighter choice for pretty much all of my touring since I can find alcohol frequently and in a 12 ounce bottle. For times when I need to carry fuel for longer periods or need to melt snow for all my water other fuels become a lighter option.

I don't completely buy all of that, but it is a bit moot for me anyway because 99% of the time if anything I want less heat output anyway and am looking to go into a throttled back mode. More heat isn't always needed and often isn't better.

My point isn't to say one or the other is better, but that it depends on the specifics of the trip and that for me that means that most often for touring alcohol is my preferred choice.
I don't use alcohol stoves at all any more, regardless of the length of the tour.

Some people like them and use them, others don't at all.

Just wanted to add here that the stoveless option has the greatest weight advantage, and the few people who actually go out and take the steps to make it work for themselves seem pretty happy with the reduced or eliminated weight and bulk (of everything -- pot(s), stove, fuel and fuel container(s), windscreen, and the rest), along with savings of time, money, fueling and refueling, meal prep and cleanup, setup, warmup, cooking times, mishaps and hassles, packing and unpacking, etc. It's definitely a small minority who make the transition, or even make a serious attempt at making it work.