Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2906 Post(s)
Liked 383 Times in 308 Posts
Originally Posted by barnabyjames
True, but they've also cost themselves more $$$ by supporting Lance as long as they did. Now "all of a sudden" you dump him(knowing from the get go) he was a doper? They hitched their ride to an admitted doper, bully, scam artist and con man. All the while alienating, and dumping on an american hero in Lemond so that they can make a few extra bucks? Yeah, seems like a smart marketing tool.
I'm thinking Trek sold a LOT of bikes by sponsoring Armstrong and don't seem to be hurting for it. They probably are the only sponsor not suing him for anything back so they must be ahead on the profit side of that sponsorship. As far as discontinuing Lemond's brand, I'm not so sure that wasn't a marketing decision that didn't really involve Armstrong's input. I'm not taking sides in their feud but Lemond's outing their sponsored rider wasn't exactly a practical business move on it's own merits.

The whole bullying thing is a bit overplayed anyway. A 160 lb. Anglo named "Lance" doesn't get by with much of that over there without some support from the peloton I don't imagine.