View Single Post
Old 04-27-13, 11:23 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
Originally Posted by furballi
Perhaps you can educate me about the physics of failure mode on the brass nipple. Show your work with concrete data or there will be no point assigned to your hard work. While it is true that the wall thickness of the brass nipple is thinner than most nuts, I have never seen nipple failure on steel wheels that have crossed my path. And yes, a few wheels had short spokes (about 3-4mm from the end of the nipple). .
The fact that you've never seen failed brass nipples isn't evidence that they don't fail. It's only evidence of your lack of experience.

As I pointed out in an earlier post, nipple failure when spokes end short of the rim is a well documented phenomenon. No new research is needed since it was researched extensively and exhaustively. May I suggest searching for the supporting research that the CPSC used in creating their first bicycle standards over 40 years ago. That would be a place to start if you care to learn, or you can base your conclusions entirely on your personal experience.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.