Old 04-28-13, 12:08 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclotourist
Thanks – that's helpful! I wasn't even thinking about the difficulty in getting a modern cassette in a bike designed for 5 or 6 speeds. I will ask around in the vintage forum about particular bikes to look for – there are always new things popping up on CL in a big city like Los Angeles.

I've been seriously ogling the All-City Space Horse, but am trying to figure out if it's worth it to spend $1500 on a new bicycle when I could potentially find something similar in a $250 vintage bike – especially when the vintage style of the All-City is part of what draws me to it in the first place. But I'll look around for those Raleighs too – REI sells Raleigh these days, right? The Rivendells are amazingly beautiful but way out of my price range...
Now, there is a way to respace the rear to accept a 130mm spaced rear wheel. It isn't that hard either.

I have an old OLMO frame sitting around I was thinking of doing it to, just haven't gotten around to it.