View Single Post
Old 04-29-13, 01:45 PM
lootcorp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stacy
The idea that BikeNY might confiscate this bag that I paid about $100 for, or that I should forego these added "comforts" just makes the ride un-doable for me. The fact that they would come up with these rules Less than two weeks before the ride, without offering any refunds, means I'll never even consider doing this ride again.
I agree - these new policies are really a crock. I've posted several comments on the security policy webpage asking (very politely) about getting a refund. Those comments were deleted and never saw the light of day. This is another reactionary security policy implemented so the organizers can tick off a box on their checklist and tell everyone, "See? We take this VERY SERIOUSLY!"

Don't know what's stopping someone from stuffing a fanny pack with explosives...or how any of this protects us from spectators/pedestrians who are not subject to these rules. Or why they are still allowing cargo and baby trailers which are much larger than a backpack. Or why they are still encouraging people to wear costumes (!) on their Facebook page. Hmm, maybe I'll go dressed as a giant backpack, think they'd like that?

I'll still ride because it appears there will be no refunds and I can keep my gear at my friend's apartment in the city...but I'll be damned if Bike NY ever sees another penny from me. They can take their ride and shove it -- regardless of if they were directly responsible for these new policies (as opposed to NYPD), the way they've handled the situation is unforgivable.