neo_pop_71

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by frantik
Finally got some Purple Haze in my stable.. picked this up this evening

1988 Diamondback Ascent EX

Tange MTB double butted tubing with mostly Deore components. Made in Japan (My 1989 DB Apex was made in Taiwan)

Seller's pics

Weird thing about this bike is that it doesn't match the 1988 catalog description. The purple haze/purple smoke paint job is supposed to be on a DB Apex. The Ascent EX was speced with Exage components, but this one is almost all Deore.. and there is even a Deore decal on the top tube (like the DB Apex paint job)

However, it's definitely a Ascent EX frame since it's got horizontal drop outs instead of vertical, which seems to be the one difference in the between the Ascent EX and Apex frames in 1988.

Finally got a nice mtb frame with horizontal drops.. single speed conversion time!
Frantik, the Purple Haze is cool! I have a '91 GT Tequesta mountain bike, it could be special ordered in "Moody Blue" or "Purple Haze" and since I was (still am) a big fan of Jimi, Purple Haze was a must! I'm building up a drop bar 700c road conversion right now, I'll post updated photos later, but here is a teaser before the full tear down.

-D-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
GTTequesta.jpg (85.1 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg
GT1991Tequsta.jpg (102.4 KB, 296 views)