View Single Post
Old 05-01-13, 08:11 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by cicatrize
I hope that's a joke; I got a different first impression from these forums.

I'm sure it was. There are a few who dump on newbies, but they don't make jokes about it. If you bike weren't brand new, people would have pursued this with you, trying to get more info until there wear actual clues. But with an obvious remedy available, it doesn't make sense to guess.

BTW- there are plenty of good tutorials available on the internet, which you can search by topic, ie. how to adjust a front derailleur. Also many shops offer repair courses, from the basic fix a flat to all of the common repairs. While you're at the dealer,ask them if they offer this. If not check for a bicycle co-op, sometimes known as a bike kitchen in your town, since these teach courses, and also have work spaces where you can work on your own bike, with a mechanic available if you get to a roadblock. IMO, that's the best way to improve your skills.

Lastly, update your profile to include where you live, so that folks may be able to give you specific local advice next time around.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.