View Single Post
Old 05-01-13, 09:05 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4211 Post(s)
Liked 3,880 Times in 2,315 Posts
Originally Posted by cicatrize
Excuse me in advance for the following. I am an inexperienced rider who just got his first "nice" bike and I don't know the terms very well, so hopefully I can explain it.

I just picked up my new Trek 7.2 FX today (they assembled it out of the box for me, so no test rides on it). I took it home and rode it around for a bit. After about ten minutes, I noticed that whenever I shifted into my 2nd gear on my (crankset?) front gears seemed to make a crunching noise as if they were in between gears. If I shift out (to 1st or 3rd) and back into 2nd, it will fix that problem. For this particular issue, maybe I'm shifting incorrectly...I don't know, but after it goes away, then it sounds like the chain is almost rubbing up against something. I looked down and I didn't see it rubbing or anything but it appeared as if the chain wasn't perfectly straight...like a very slight sway to left and right.

Any ideas?
First thought that come to me is your comment about no test ride. I sure hope the shop did one. You should have done one as well. Sometimes the desire to ride away with a new bike overcomes the need to bed in a new bike with actual use. Since the customer is waving the money in front of the shop it's hard for some shops to take, no inist that, the time to do the assembly and delivery right.

Still there will be some continuing breaking in on all the systems as the riding adds up. Return to the shop and give them time to do the right follow up. Do this again after a month or two, EVEN if you don't think the bike needs it. Andy.