View Single Post
Old 05-02-13, 02:51 PM
neil

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hyhuu
1) Since getting hit behind is fairly rare, do you think being able to see something approaching from behind can actually help you prevent being hit?
In the event that you were going to be hit from behind, I suspect that having a mirror (and checking it with the occasional glance even if you're not changing lanes) would increase your ability to avoid the crash. Yes, crashes from behind are rare, but not non-existent.

The situation that I've had come up more than once that the mirror helped with is on a bridge MUP I frequently cross, I have to slow down when I encounter a slow bike or a ped until there's a gap in oncoming traffic. The mirror lets me know when impatient jackasses are racing by me just as I'm trying to take advantage of a passing opportunity.

2) What does "awareness" of the surrouding buy you in terms of safety?
Awareness in more directions gives you more ability to safely maneuver, whether knowing which direction to dodge in an emergency situation or just to avoiding a pothole. Mirrors offer pretty costless awareness as, unlike shoulder checks, you can keep one eye in the direction of travel while the other eye checks behind.

3) Even with the mirror, do you still turn around to look before you turn? Thanks.
Yes, but the mirror saves me from having to do this many times when it is not safe, just the once when I'm already quite certain I'm good to go.