Old 05-02-13, 04:34 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tdister
Are you referring to actual stresses on parts? I ask because I've only ever known longer wheelbases to ride better, which makes sense because the rider is, relatively, closer to the fulcrum that the front wheel acts as when the rear hits a bump.
No I mean you actually feel bumps in the rear more. The BD has a really long wheelbase,but the rider is towards the front(about the front 3rd of the bike) instead of the middle on regular bikes. So when I'm loaded up for my bike clinic,there's 180lbs of rider weight biased towards the front with 45lbs of gear weight biased towards the back. There's a noticeable lag between the front and rear wheels hitting a bump,and the longtail acts as a lever to make you feel it more.

I have one of the original models with the old style snap rack. It jettisoned on me three times when the main road I take was under construction. Had to buy the new version rack hooks to keep it in place.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X