Old 05-03-13, 12:22 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
verses constantly having to "fight" for space on the road when I ride in a vehicular fashion.
if you are fighting for space you are doing it wrong. i don't fight for space...i just...erm...take the lane.

interestingly enough today i had a conversation with a lady in a parking enforcement vehicle about my lane taking. i was in the lane avoiding the clusterfrack that is the broadway cycle track*. she screamed at me several times to go ride in the bike lane [sic]. at the next light i pulled up next to her and calmly informed her that in oregon i have every right to take the lane if i ride at the "normal speed of traffic". she became irate and began shouting about bike licensing (e.g. you "people" should have licenses). i then informed her that bike licenses do not work but she assured me that bike licensing was the answer.

* i am not opposed to cycle tracks per se. for example, the sellwood bridge cycle track is a fine facility.

PS: pdx motorists are so accustomed to VC cycling that its been well over a year since i had to "educate" a misinformed motorist about my right to take the lane. critical mass, baby.

Last edited by spare_wheel; 05-03-13 at 12:39 PM.