genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
if you are fighting for space you are doing it wrong. i don't fight for space...i just...erm...take the lane.

interestingly enough today i had a conversation with a lady in a parking enforcement vehicle about my lane taking. i was in the lane avoiding the clusterfrack that is the broadway cycle track*. she screamed at me several times to go ride in the bike lane [sic]. at the next light i pulled up next to her and calmly informed her that in oregon i have every right to take the lane if i ride at the "normal speed of traffic". she became irate and began shouting about bike licensing (e.g. you "people" should have licenses). i then informed her that bike licenses do not work but she assured me that bike licensing was the answer.

* i am not opposed to cycle tracks per se. for example, the sellwood bridge cycle track is a fine facility.

PS: pdx motorists are so accustomed to VC cycling that its been well over a year since i had to "educate" a misinformed motorist about my right to take the lane. critical mass, baby.
Meanwhile the guy with the biggest vehicle also tries to Take the Lane. Guess who wins... or have you not studied the physics of 4000 lb vehicles vrs 200 lb bike and rider? Don't bother saying "but the law says" while there are countless videos that show that some motorists don't give a hoot about what the law says. (and will tell you that to your face)