View Single Post
Old 05-04-13, 10:19 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
This is a topic that I've been researching.

My wife and I own a pair of recumbent trikes that we link together as a tandem. We would like to be able to converse normally as we ride.

There is a commercially available product called "Tandem Talk". It comes in a wired or wireless version. We personally know 2 teams who own the wired version. Neither use it because it's too awkward to connect and disconnect every time they get on or off the bike. The wireless version retails for about $350. It uses voice activated microphones so it should be pretty user friendly, but I don't know anybody who has one that I can ask how well they like it.

I wonder about battery life too. Ideally I'd like rechargable batteries that last 6 hours. Less than that would be a deal killer for me.

For now, we've decided to do nothing. We're able to talk to one another but have to use a slightly louder than normal conversational voice. Consequently, we share less than we'd like. Convenience is everything. We can get along now. Before we spend a significant amount of money, we'd have to be assured it will significantly enhance our cycling experience.

Requirements:
1. Body wearable and wireless.
2. Voice activated microphone.
3. 6 hr. battery life, rechargable.
4. Only need about 8' of range.
5. $350 is the absolute upper limit on price.

For us to buy your product you will have to at least match "Tandem Talk" in every area of performance and beat it significantly in at least one.

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 05-04-13 at 10:28 AM.