Old 05-04-13, 03:47 PM
Fargo Wolf
Resident smartass.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Construction Season (From The Flagger's Point Of View) And Cyclists

(Note to Mods: Not sure if it should go here, or in General Discussion. Please move if thread is in the wrong spot)

I'm a cyclist, but my occupation is that of a Traffic Control Person (flagger) at road construction sites. Below, is my observations of cyclists at construcion zones over the last few years. Which cyclist are you?

Construction season is here. This means lane closures, single lane alternating traffic and other stuff. Most cyclists are fairly good at staying out of the coned off areas (unless the flagger says otherwise), will wait until directed to proceed (usually ahead of traffic). These are the cyclists who set a GOOD example for the rest of us out there. Many are interesting to talk to as well.

Sadly, there are those who will set the exact opposite example and make cyclists look bad. These are the ones who ignore the fact that a lane may be coned off for a reason (One such ****** got clothes-lined off his bike by the guy on a small pavement roller as a result) or blow past a flagger (me), oblivious to oncoming traffic, who tried to ride down my supervisor. The motorist who was waiting said I should have stuck my staff through the spokes of the cyclist's wheel.

All I ask, is this: In all Provinces/Territories of Canada and (so far as I know) all states and overseas territories of the US, please follow what the signs indicate and follow the flagger's directions. If in doubt, ask. If they (flagger) aren't sure, their supervisor should know.

Stay safe, enjoy the ride and be nice to the flaggers out there. Thanks.