Old 05-04-13, 08:08 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by climber7
surprised myself with a really solid 3.5-hour ride this morning. it's been exactly 4 weeks since i broke my collarbone, and i was doing basically nothing for the first 2.5 of those weeks, so i wasn't optimistic...but i guess i haven't lost as much as i thought.

i have a follow-up with the ortho doc on monday to get some more x-rays. if they're good, i'll probably go ahead and sign up for killington. anyone else going?
good to hear! you may surprise yourself with just how fast you may come back.
Originally Posted by climber7
that doesn't matter. his point (i think) was that your AP was almost the same as your NP, which means you were working too hard for too much of the race. in a crit, NP should be much higher than AP. you should either be sitting in and working very little or attacking and working very hard. unless you're on the front working for a teammate or something, of course.
yes, that was the point. Also was the point that cat 2/3 riders usually average 270W (they may be 160lbs) in a crit in which they do well (assuming they aren't in a break). I bring up this point because in a very technical crit i did last weekd (Penn State crit course), my average for the 45 minutes (245W) was 45-55W less than that of some other people (cat3/4 in the 150-165lb range) in my race. The difference was large enough to make me doubt the accuracy of my SRM, and it wasn't after realizing that the really good riders in the cat1/2/3 race were doing 255-275W for their race that i was convinced that my SRM wasn't off.

the OP might ask, and the point is? The point is that learning to ride in a pack, hide, and conserve is a set of skills that needs to be learned early and practiced often. Some of the really strong riders (think cat 5 --> cat 3 in 4-5 months) who upgrade on aerobic strength alone often don't develop those skills, and end up suffering quite a bit now that everyone else is just as good. And while i'm okay with doing 245W for my race, I'm sure CDR would probably have done 170W or something. The point being that chances are, you almost always could have saved more, and that's more energy when you make the attack that stick or when you sprint for the line.