Old 05-05-13, 08:00 AM
Cyclist755
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsdavis
Aluminum, steel, carbon isn't all that important. A frame and fork can be as stiff or squishy as the manufacturer wants. AIt really comes down to the frame design. Since most new bikes now use hydroforming, its possible to tune the bikes to perform a certain way and tune it for certain characteristics.
man, i'm having a real hard time understanding how some say it's of no importance while for others it's a singularly determining factor. oh well, don't want to derail my thread with the unresolvable issue so i'll just say i will definitely at last try bikes with forks of every material.

Originally Posted by jsdavis
Have you considered a cross bike instead of a hybrid? Something like a Kona Rove maybe? That one is $1700 but a titanium version should be available shortly.

You can go pretty fast on a cross bike and you can fit 28 or 25mm tires if you like or you can go up to 35mm if not bigger on most cross bikes. The bikes I mentioned also come with disc brakes, though you may want to upgrade the ones on the Kona Jake.
i wasn't considering them, primarily due to the drop bars. i really need a somewhat upright posture. i've ridden drops a lot in the city and it's just not for me. thanks for the out of the box idea though.