Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by frantik
weighed Deore XTII thumbie vs Deore II thumbie: 97g vs 109gr

the main difference is probably the fact the XT thumbie has an alloy clamp. For drop bar conversion fans, the alloy clamp is less preferred since they don't fit drops like the steel ones do. I've considered filing down my XT clamp to make it fit but then it won't ever fit a flat bar again so i dunno. plus it will take a long time and could possibly look bad doing it with a hand file
You could always try snugging the bolt on the clamp down while off the bars and use a Master Cylinder Brake Hone to resize them, would look better and have an even bore ( more then with a file anyway).

I like this thread, although I don't own a bike scale to do weight comparisons I know every bike I build for myself comes out lighter then when I started, one mostly because I don't start with a high end bike to begin with ( in most cases, but there are exceptions ) so any component I replace is going to be better and lighter then the one I replaced.

One example is my 21" GT Outpost I am going to be building, nowhere near a top of the line bike & definitely not light weight as I'm sure it probably weighs more then 30lbs in stock form with the low end Suntour & SR components that were on it ( probably closer to 35lbs). Steel bars, seatpost, chain rings & freewheel hubs are only a few of the parts that weigh a ton on this frame that will be changed out for better, lighter & stronger components like alloy bars, seatpost, cassette hub & full XT drivetrain & brakes with a little bit of Ti hardware thrown in just for good measures I am sure I can get the weight below 25lbs when I'm done.

Glenn