Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by IndianaRecRider
Oh, I'm sure I will someday Mr. Beanz. Since right now my ride distances usually average less than 20 miles, I'm not on the bike for hours on end, so I guess a lighter helmet isn't much of a concern for me right now. And besides, although I have nothing to compare it to, I think my new helmet is pretty comfortable.

However, once I can get my distances longer on a more consistent basis and I'm on my bike for 3, 4 or more hours at a time, I may find I need a lighter / better helmet, along with other things to lighten the load, maybe even a lighter bike.

Thank goodness you have the intelligence to comprehend my point. As mentioned, you benefit from a better helmet on longer, more demanding, intense rides. Yes, your helmet is more than fine right now, and it will be fine on more demanding rides. My point is that you will feel a difference with a more expensive helmet once you do those more demanding rides, not that your helmet will not work, but you will feel the benefits as far as comfort and energy savings (whether it be due to design or weight).

If reads can comprehend the statements made in the article about the faster helmet, it reinforces what I have been saying the entire time.

But the reason you’ll continue to see these aero road helmets is because they are faster. They may not give an edge on a particular day, but they’ll save energy over the course of a three-week race even if used for only one of those weeks. Remember, stage racing is all about energy conservation.