Old 05-05-13, 01:52 PM
Lenton58 

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
ROMANI:
The information I have gathered goes like this: the company was founded in 1924 by the Romani family in Sala Baganza, Parma Italy. The Romanis were involved throughout the life of the company until production ceased in 1990. At least 80% of the frames that they produced were never branded as 'Romani', but some were stamped somewhere with the Romani signature. They rarely if ever produced whole machines, but rather they were frame-makers who supplied frames to some of the most prestigious marques in the Italian velo pantheon — especially when these other more iconic companies had order sheets that they could not accommodate.

Years ago, Romani frames were marketed by notable bicycle shops in the Western United States. These machines were branded as 'Romani' and gained a reputation for excellent value for the money spent

Their frames were made in various flavours of Columbus as well as Reynolds. And, from my examination of photographs, any two frames made from even different tubing can look virtually the same in detail, lugs and finish. Bikes that were sold with the Romani name were not as expensive as the more lustrous Italian brands, but they never seem to have disappointed anyone who ever owned and rode one.

After some very careful examination, I believe that my Simplon (pictured here) is a Romani frame. I built it up as a single speed bike on a restrictive budget. I absolutely love riding the thing. It appears to be carrying all the detailed hallmarks of Romani manufacture. It's stable, yet quick-handling with a silky ride. It's not pinned, but I can never get it to flex (but then I'm by no means a young athlete). This one is made in Reynolds 531. BTW, I can turn it back to a multi-geared machine within a couple of hours.

I would love to own your track version, and I am sure you will enjoy it for many years to come. Congrats on a very sweet find.

Last edited by Lenton58; 05-05-13 at 01:59 PM.