View Single Post
Old 05-06-13, 01:03 PM
spazegun2213

Bikes: '11 Allez Comp, '09 Pinarello Pista

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last friday I raced again at the velodrome. It had been a really bad week at work for me, so I was just hoping to survive the races. I had finally put on the 50t ring to move up to a 90" gear. Both the work and the new gear concerned me, but wth, i needed to have some fun. I had the same 3 goals 1) Don't be last, 2) get some points and 3) don't crash. Nearly 25 people showed up for the D's (yup, still in the slow group)

The first race was a 7 lap points race, and I ended up as the 3rd guy in a 3 person break away with 2 to go. The #1 guy destroyed me, but I ended up sprinting around the #2 guy, which surprised me. I was able to really keep the MPH up with the 50t, but it did take me a little longer actually get going.

The 2nd race was a points race, and I managed to grab 1 point in the middle of the race. It was much easier for me to pull up and then get back on the pack this week. I guess all that practicing is pay off finally. With the point in hand and my finish, it was good enough for 6th. I was happy that I could stay with the pack after the sprints, and finish strong(ish).

The last race was an 18 points race with points going 5,3,2,1 every 6 laps. I didnt even try for the first sprint, thinking I'd have my chance on the last lap if I stayed back and worked with the pack. Sure enough the pack was fast enough that the sprinters for the first points nearly dropped off the back. Then a funny thing happened... the pack started to split. I guess everyone was tired from the first 2 races, and I decided to stay with the fast group. By lap 7 there were only a few of us, and I figured "plans change" as I sprinted for points. I managed to grab 2 points and then as I was moving up the track my pedal felt funny... like my cleat had become loose. I managed another lap before the field came by and I thought I could still finish.... That is about the time the non drive side of the crank came off. I looked down as it struck the cement with a "BANG" and slid down the track. WTF?! did that just happen?!

Turns out the Ominums I use have a problem with the bolt that secures the crank either backing out, or stripping. Mine was stripped and I DNF'd.... damn, my first time finishing dead last, and I even had points!!!! oh well. I dropped the bike off at the LBS the next day and they fixed it in a few hours. Live and learn folks! I guess my 2 wheeled italian is a lot like others... they need constant maintenance. Looks like I'll be torquing that bolt every time I take the bike to the track. Can anyone recommend a good set of tools that will not break the bank?