View Single Post
Old 05-06-13, 09:58 PM
crewdoglm

Bikes: De Rosa Idol, Felt TK-2, Pinarello Paris, Williams Gemini alloy, Basso Astra, Basso Laguna, Bottecchia Leggendaria, Cinelli SSCX, Argon 18 Electron track, 60-70 wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks...found some info

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Acetone is a bit aggressive for epoxy resin holding the carbon fiber together. I would go with no more powerful a solvent than isopropyl alcohol. You know, just buy the alcohol swabs they sell at the pharmacy for prepping injection sites. Wipe once and you are done. That is what I just used to clean my carbon rims before applying the decals I had made for them.

Robert
I appreciate that and I agree. However I did find on the Park Tool site: "Carbon gluing surfaces have special considerations. Most manufacturers of carbon rims state that acetone is acceptable for cleaning the gluing surface. Contact manufacturer for their recommendations. Abrading the carbon can be useful for cleaning surface. This is especially true if there is "mold release" on the rim. This is a slick substance that allows the carbon to come out of the mold during manufacturing. Use only a medium grade sand paper or emery cloth (approximately 120 grit). Do not abrade down to the fibers themselves. Clean with an oil-free solvent after any sanding."

So maybe that's good news considering I prepped a set already using acetone.