View Single Post
Old 05-08-13, 06:11 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Free to friends and church family. I repair ~10 bikes each year for friends at church, supressing the weakness to expect something in return. This is a gift I've been given - so I share it.

I fully restored a 1981 Univega for my wife's friend's husband, as her surprise gift to him. I only asked that she reimburse for consumables and donate to my wife's mission trip fund for Africa last summer. I later located and refurbished a 1977 Fuji S-10S (in green with chrome socks) for the wife's friend. They bought the bike and reimbursed for the parts I had to buy (a stem, good brake pads, tires). Now they both ride vintage bikes.

One of my riding friends has an aluminum frame/carbon fork Tiagra-equipped Schwinn of some sort. It was in bad need of servicing. Over several evenings/mornings this year, we've replaced all cabling, front derailleur, new chain, new bar wrap, kool stop cartridge pads, and did a wheel truing session (on brake day). I've been teaching him along the way. No charge, of course, as this way he can learn to take care of his own maintenance and better understand how his bike works.