View Single Post
Old 05-08-13, 08:17 AM
Saphod

Bikes: 2013 Kona Jake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought my 2013 Kona Jake back in January and have done 760 km so far. I must say I really love this bike (I haven't ridden for 20 years, so I am basically a total newbie, and I think it is a good fit). ;-)

All I did so far was change the saddle to a Selle Italia Maxflite Gel Flow (had sciatic nerve problems with the stock WTB Volt), mounted Shimano SPD pedals and changed the tyres to Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 32mm (awesome tyres!), since I use it more on the road then off-road.

I also think that upgrading the brakes would be beneficial (it's basically the final part I could think of that might make a noticeable change, I am happy with the rest). Since I am very new to bike mechanics and not very adept as of yet: Can someone please tell me what I would need to change if I also wanted to use BB7 brakes? Is the front and back brake the same (http://www.wiggle.com.au/avid-bb7-mtb-disc-brake/)? Which rotor sizes front/rear do you recommend (frame size is 56)? Which rotor to go for? Do I need new pads? Can I stay with the Tiagra levers and cabling? And, and, and...

I would get the components online and then have my LBS fit it, since I would never be able to do that myself.

I also have a U-Lock (D-Lock?) bracket mounted to my seat tube, so that I can carry the lock similar to here.

This was just a precaution in case I need to leave the bike somewhere on a commute (I used to leave the lock attached all the time, until I noticed that it is more than 1,000g of unnecessary weight for an exercise ride - LOL... see what Sheldon Brown has to say to that). I would actually like to be able to carry a second water bottle for longer exercise rides, but I think that bracket makes it impossible to mount a second cage. Does anyone have an idea?

Oh, I actually just found this image:

The bracket is a bit higher on the seat tube and a little more turned to the outside and downwards, which seems to leave space for the cage (although the lock seems smaller), and if I take the lock along, I can leave the bottle away. Does that still look safe and "roadworthy"?

BTW - here is another article about the bike that I found quite interesting:
http://www.spinistry.com/upgrades/

Thanks in advance, guys!