View Single Post
Old 05-09-13, 05:08 PM
Wooden Tiger

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Flash Alloy 2 (mountain bike), 2010 Schwinn Paramount Series 7 (road bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ncfisherman
Standover height is highly overrated -- you're not riding the bike with your feet flat on the ground, straddling the top-tube.

Sounds like you're in between sizes. If it feels comfortable while riding, then you're good. Might want to test ride a medium sized bike from one of your local shops because no one here can tell you if your bike is too big.
I'm 5'11 and in between sizes. I went with a Large. My table and chairs are pretty much resting on the top tube, but I'm comfortable on the bike. I haven't launched over the handle bars (yet) and I've hit some pretty nice obstacles. Every brand is different. I've found myself more comfortable on Mediums from some brands and more comfortable on Larges from others.

Originally Posted by Ferrous Bueller
Standover is one of the last things I'd look at when evaluating a frame. My FS bike has a sloping toptube which is crotch height or higher for most of its length. I've rarely canned myself on it. When I did, it was typically a crash situation.

Is your hardtail too big? Dunno. Do you feel stretched out on it? How long's the handlebar stem? Can you maneuver it well on technical bits? These are more important than standover IMO.
I agree. At first I was a bit concerned with standover height, and while I still prefer a bit of standover height, it's not something I normally target as a dealbreaker. I've crashed a few times and the lack of standover height hasn't caused any unpleasant occurences down below.