Old 05-11-13, 09:04 AM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
I was heavily involved in Karting and as such I made and designed the frame and built it up from components that I knew worked and were good. I was one of the top men in Europe in Endurance racing where reliability played a big part in the equipment so was very loath to try the latest "Must Have" until it proved to be better than the one I was using and was strong enough for the job. Cost never came into it providing it was going to do the job it was intended for.

Same in cycling now. Design and latest fads do not come into it. Suppose that is why I still ride aluminium as the material of choice because top quality Al frames work just as good as C.F. and is more accident resistant. 105/ Ultegra is good enough for me although I know Dure Ace is better but Di2 is still not proven to me.

For me bikes have to work. Not worried about looks or how good the paint job is but colour is important. Anything but WHITE--so why do I have two predominantly WHITE bikes. Now a Whyte bike would not matter what colour it is and one day I will get one.
One of the most brilliant engineers I worked for before becoming one myself, had no degree. He had gone through 'pretiship in southern England. Degrees are nice. I have even used some of what I learned. I feel the biggest benefit of math through calculus and differential equations was that it made me really good at the algebra and trig that I actually use.