View Single Post
Old 05-11-13, 11:36 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
+1 Dan makes a great point. If you spend time and effort cleaning and parting this bike out you could probably get good money for it, but not enough to replace it with a bike that's much better. The Stumpjumper will already make a great city bike. As far as the shifter price, you can check ebay completed listings but I'm pretty sure they're worth at least $50.

Originally Posted by bikemig
I've made all sorts of bikes into commuters or beater bikes over the years. My rule of thumb is that it has to be cheap (since it might get stolen) and it has to be good (why ride a cr##py bike?). I've used road bikes, commuter bikes, three speeds, you name it. Vintage MTBs are my favorite. They're stout bikes with forgiving gearing and fat tires. Plus the older bikes tended to have more relaxed geometry than the modern ones which also helps out.
Same here. I've used just about everything as a beater/commuter over the years. I still have an old Trek 930 with fenders and a rack and it's a lot of fun, but probably my favorite commuter is an old touring bike. A little faster, more road-ish. But unfortunately they are harder to find and more expensive. I recently paid $175 for a 1983 Fuji Touring Series III in rough shape. Mountain bikes can be picked up for a lot less.