View Single Post
Old 05-12-13, 08:22 PM
ncfisherman

Bikes: Canfield Yelli Screamy, Pivot Mach5, Specialized Roubaix, '65 Hercules, '79 Schwinn Stingray Lil Chic, '68 Schwinn Stingray Fastback, '89 Specialized Allez Epic, '86 Battaglin World Champion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik_A
Thanks, good advice. I am temped todo it with my Lemond Poprad CX bike. I have a 1.75" 29er tire on the front and a 38c on the rear.
I guess it depends on where you are. If we're talking about open gravel-grinding, the CX bike might cut it. If I were to ride any event that included actual trail, I wouldn't even consider it. In my neck of the woods, trails are heavily wooded(lots of roots), some rock and logs -- none of which I would want to ride on a CX bike, unless I intended on hopping a lot of obstacles CX-style. I'd strongly suggest a mtb for mtb oriented endurance events.

Back to the SIR/MCR...considering your CX background, it honestly seems like it could be great fit. Part of the reason I sold my MCR was that I ride a little too aggressive for that frame and felt that it wouldn't last long. It's a pure XC frame with some really good ride characteristics -- very smooth, great climber, lightweight(for steel -- my medium was 4.45lbs), and just a solid handling bike.