Old 05-13-13, 06:38 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LyzurJane
...Maybe we should be less concerned with the gender ratio of the tiny percentage (as rekmeyata points out) of bike commuters, and just try to make changes that get more people on bikes. If the percentage of bike commuters rises, perhaps the gender discrepancy will even out a bit. It seems that people from places with strong bike cultures are reporting more women on bikes than the national average.

On one hand I'd like to dismiss the gender thing but it is the elephant in the room otherwise. It really is not a balanced ratio and asking, "why" is useful to both male and female riders.

For one thing having safe places to ride and by that I don't just mean but wider lanes, slower traffic, bike lanes, bike paths etc and other factors that make it safer to ride but well lit, populated infrastructures that may occasionally be patrolled by police. I know that my wife hates dark, secluded sections of the bike path at night that I might not think twice about when riding home. And while I'm loathe to admit it her concerns are legitimate- she's right, unfortunately, women can be subjected to harassment or assault that men would not.

Women can get hassled while walking, on public transit or riding a bike more easily than if they drive and I think that can, for some women, be a factor in making a choice about bike commuting- especially if they'll be doing at least half their commute in the dark.

That said, I saw two women riding solo over the Manhattan Bridge going the opposite direction to me last night at 11 pm as I crossed over and I'm sure there were many more before and after- but the bridge is well monitored and lit and frequented by cyclists and that makes it better for everybody no matter their gender.