Old 05-14-13, 04:12 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
First, I'll second what Machka said.

Originally Posted by FFXI_Shibaa
seen this tent on sale http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ref...SIN=B001TSCF96 its bigger than I would need unless I meet someone along the way, but outside that maybe I can use the extra space to store gear during the nights. Other than electronics to you folks usually put gear in tent over night?
Your link didn't work for me so I am not sure what tent that is. I personally don't take much in at night and find a one person tent fine.

speaking of racks, I see a lot of bikes with a rear rack but not a front rack.
Personally I find something like the Blackburn ex-1 or one of the Axioms Streamliners to work well on the back at a reasonable price. For the front one of the Blackburn low rider clones is a good choice check Nashbar and Performance for them. You might find you do not need both.

In terms of a bike, I think hybrid is way I'm going
It can work, but would probably be my last choice. If going with a medium to heavy load go with a touring bike or a cyclo cross bike. For those who go ultralight a road bike might work better.

I also plan to be using solar power too. Came across this site: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?doc_id=9258
Solar solutions are typically an unnecessary complication that have many drawbacks in my opinion. My advice is minimize your need for power, carry a few spare batteries, and charge when you have access to an outlet.

I also was thinking about wind power seeing as we are discussing solar. Have not see it but am wondering if there is something we can attach to the spokes of say the front tire, and have the bike propped up at camp to make the tire like a windmill to run the hub generator, and take advantage of wind energy while at camp. Presumable just need to plastic wind blades for example to attach to the spokes and just detach/store them for later.
Sounds like a bad idea. If you really must have a way to charge while off the grid get a hub generator or bottle generator, but I would not bother.

How many water bottles is a good setup on the bike.
Two or three are nice, but really it isn't a huge deal you can stop and refill from water carried elsewhere in your baggage easily enough so there is no compelling need for it to be all on the frame.

Will also need a comfy seat.
Yes. Actually a well broken in butt is more important and if by comfy you mean well padded forget it. A firm seat that fits you is the way to go. I prefer racing models, but am not picky as long as it isn't heavily padded or two wide.

Should I try to have the quick release tires or do that not do well if part of the mounting of a rack?
I assume you mean quick release hubs? If so they work fine, but would not be a requirement.

My biggest suggestion is to only take what you really need. Keeping the load light pays dividends in day long comfort. For sure do not dream up reasons to buy and take stuff. Determine your real needs and then take the minimum to provide for them.