Old 05-14-13, 05:14 PM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by John W T
Well, my experience shows that you are both wrong and the guy at the bike shop was right. Obviously the two ends of the QR are not identical, one has the release lever and the other does not. Clearly they were not seating properly when the QR was the wrong way round. I'm a bit fascinated with the quirk of human nature that makes us all instant experts on any subject we know a little bit about. We hate to have to learn that there's more to something than we already know in spite of the fact that the world is full of evidence that human knowledge on any subject is very limited.
That wheel actually uses the INSIDE of the dropouts to seat properly. A QR or bolts or whatever just holds it in place. So if you just reversed the QR and think that solved the problem - relax - it'll undoubtably be back. Could be something as simple as a bent axle which always seems to be OK in at least a couple positions.

And I'll agree that everyone here that tried to help you out is not only a lot more qualified than you give them credit for, but also more qualified than a lot of shop mechanics.