View Single Post
Old 05-15-13, 03:51 PM
hobkirk
Retired dabbler

Location: Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 , Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I wrote this in the other thread, but what worked for me was getting a HRM book and figuring out an organized schedule of training which incorporated hard days, rest days, and strength-building. I found the hardest thing about the schedule was doing the easy rest days because all my friends would ride off ahead, obviously enjoying the opportunity! But after a while, I could drop them even on my easy days. Which is when I started riding with a faster group and the process started all over again.

You can ride for enjoyment or you can ride to train. If you're lucky, you can enjoy the training. I do. My biggest issue is the amount of time I can devote to it. But most people over-estimate how hard they're working, and spend most of their time in the 'dead zone' of training. Which is great if you're cycling for enjoyment, but not so good for improving your speeds.
I try to alternate hard days (like today's ride described above - HR in Zone 3 for 2-3 hours) with recovery days (usually a day off, since I find it very hard to ride in HR Zone 1). My last long ride (64 miles, my first over 40 this year) was in the "dead zone" (AHR 118, 79 RPM, 14.6 average, 48' ascent/mile) but I wanted to enjoy the day and avoid any cramping or bonking. But most of my rides result in an AHR in Zone 3.

"Riding for enjoyment" seems an awkward concept to me, especially now that I am only riding 2-4 times a week. I end almost all rides feeling spent. But that's how I want it. And obviously I plug into the concept of training as proved by my question.

Thanks. Thoughtful and useful answer.

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Best way at 67 y/o is too lose weight.

One get slower with age.

Ride when you can and enjoy it.

My wife took a physical beating from radiation treatment.
She has not been the same since.
Sorry to hear that about your wife. I was lucky. Yeah, I know about the weight. But to us ectomorphs, losing weight can be very hard. I really did like everything about how I felt at 200.

Originally Posted by bbeasley
I do gut wrenching wind sprints 2 or 3 times per week followed by a longish, 50 mile, weekend ride. Doing this I've scratched and clawed my way from near 0 to a 19.7 MPH bike leg of a 20 mile Triathlon. I'm 55 y/0, 5'7", and 205 so plenty fat.

My wind sprints consist of 60 seconds of all out effort followed by 120 seconds of rest. I warm up a bit and cool down a bit, total ride is about 30 minutes.

I tried doing a couple of 20 mile rides and the long weekend ride but it did nothing for speed.

Like BlazingPedals I enjoy the training and agree completely with his comments about the "dead zone".
Intervals twice a week out of 3 rides? Ouch! I've done speed intervals a couple of times (3 minutes each) and hill intervals several times (7 minutes, 200' ascent in one mile). They hurt. Which is why I am asking in this forum - get an idea if the old folks do this.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Biker395
That's what I say. Yea, I can do 18-20 MPH on flat ground with no wind all day ... but on a ride with hills, stoplights and wind, there is no way I could do close to that.
Well I can't! That is my point. There isn't much flat land around where I live, but I'd guess I'm mostly 15-16 on the flats. Here are some metrics from Ride With GPS -

Others
Thank you. I am grateful for my health. I enjoyed my group ride today - good conversations, I didn't slow the group down, and I do draft sometimes. But my issue is improving my personal capability, not keeping up with the group.

And, on equipment, I have a 53/42/30 triple with 11-34 gears. I am definitely not hurting for gearing options! I ride almost entirely in my middle ring, and I regularly use all ten gears.

These forums continue to amaze me. Seven replies in less than an hour, IIRC. Some good opinions and useful history. Thank you all (past and future) responders.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Metrics 01 Speed at grade.jpg (18.1 KB, 12 views)