Old 05-15-13, 05:06 PM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 126 Posts
Not quite finished but this is my Saronni inspired 1982 Colnago Mexico. I have tried to build this frame up with similar kit to the Saronni bike on display at Ernesto Colnago's headquarters. This frame is an early Colnago Mexico built in 1982 and not the Colnago Nuovo Mexico, crimped tubed frame used by Beppe Saronni to win the World Championship in 1982 and Giro d'Italia in 1983 that I has inspired my build.

This frame has been re-finished. The chrome has been re-done with over 40 hours of prep. and the metallic paint is new and a slightly lighter version of the famous 'Saronni' red. The chrome work is spectacular and much better than the photos portray. Beppe Saronni's Del Tongo team were quick to upgrade the decal set to include the world road race championship stripes that Beppe won in '82. A 'Cyclemondo' version of this decal set has been used to finish this frame (complete with Ernesto Colnago's signature not found on the original bike).

It is kitted out with a Campy 50th anniversary gruppo but I have changed the pedals to Super Record (Ti) track pedals with Binda straps like Saronni used. The 3TTT engraved stem and bar are like Saronni's. So too the TA alloy bottle cage but I am changing it to a white topped version soon. The saddle is a Concor Confort sitting on top of the 50th Ann. seat post that has been painted in the flutes in the Italian tricolours like the post in Saronni's bike. The seat cluster bolt is a nutted bolt like on Saronni's bike. Brake cable outers are Campy black versions and the handle bar tape is white cloth like the Saronni display bike. I have fitted a Campy 50th anniversary 6 speed freewheel to the 50th anniversary rear hub.

It is a 58cm c to c seat tube and a 57cm c to c top tube. All up it weighs 20 1/2 lb. which is quite light for this era. The Mexico's were built from thinner walled tubing as opposed to the Super's.

The ride displays typical 'Colnago' neutral qualities and it's light weight quite evident. I's just a joy to ride on a nice day and reinforces why I love bikes of this era.

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 05-16-13 at 02:05 AM.