View Single Post
Old 05-16-13, 05:30 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Evolution of a Yeti . . .

A few weeks ago, a big box arrived at my workplace from Yeti Cycles. A peek inside at the time revealed a glimpse of shocking-electric-lime-colored goodness. It also revealed the beginnings of a ground-up assembly project. This box was BIIIIG - - think standard bike box but over 12” wide. And you know how bikes are usually partially-assembled in the box? Not this one. In one part of the box was the bare frame; the rest of the box contained all of the rest of the individual components. Wild.

What was gratifying was the frame needed NO pre-assembly prep. Bottom bracket shell, head tube, etc. were all chased and faced and ready to start attaching parts onto. So here it was in the stand and ready to begin:

. . . and that’s about as far as it got for over a week. A downhill race in Port Angeles, followed by a week vacation, followed by a running race and the poor Yeti languished in my basement awaiting my return. So a flurry of work ensued when I got back . . . a couple of late-late nights and she was starting to resemble a bike finally.

At this point, it was after midnight Wednesday morning a week ago. I still needed to run the shift cables, adjust derailleurs and install the brakes. Guess I was going to have to ride the first Wednesday night XC race of the season on the DH bike.

So this week, I finally got on it and vowed to finish by Wednesday. Ran the shift cables, hooked everything up, set limit screws a close as I could dial them, then turned to on the brakes.
Only thing left at this point was to shorten the rear brake hose and bleed it.

I chased around on Tuesday to the farm supply store (60cc syringes), the hardware store (drip irrigation fittings [more on that later], vinyl tubing, tubing clamps, o-rings, etc.) and the auto parts store (brake fluid - - I only had DOT3 at home). Hint: nobody carries DOT5.1 brake fluid. They may show it online but it’s not in their stores. Motorcycle shops probably would have been the safer bet but what did I know at the time? Settled for DOT4 and hightailed it home.

I'd never bled Avids before. People told me they found them a bit fussy and I concur. It seemed to take way more snapping the lever to rid the master cyl. of air bubbles than the instructions lead you to believe. So now it’s after midnight Wednesday morning (again). Brakes were good and ready to bed the pads.

Wed. lunchtime, ran the bike in to the shop so Danny the mechanic could readjust my adjusting of the shifting (haha - - wasn’t as close as I thought). After work, I found a big-ass long hill to bed the brakes. An hour later it got its first-ever ‘shakedown cruise’ ride - - Wednesday night XC race #2.

More how it rides as I get more time on it; but suffice to say that it lived up to my stoke. It flat moves. The fun part is, it accelerates quickly enough to where I actually had speed for hitting lips and other little trail features fast enough to grab a little air off them - - even slip in little ‘mini-whip’ now and then (hope those Crossrides can handle that kind of foolishness). It wants to run . . . and pop off stuff . . . and BLAST the descents. It allows you to carry so much speed off even slight descents, you can sneak up on other riders pretty quickly.

You’d think with 6” of travel that climbing would be a seated-only affair but not so - - I found mid-length climbs and those punchy, short-steep ones are actually better attacked standing cranking more often than not. The traction is just there when you need it. And if you accelerate seated, the Switch pivot lets it hook up and go with no squat or hesitation.

I found the hard way (dropped chain) that I need to do some more work on chain length; but at this point, I couldn’t be more pleased with its performance. Looking forward to getting a LOT more time on it in the near future.

Yeti arsenal:

Last edited by dminor; 05-16-13 at 05:33 PM.