View Single Post
Old 05-17-13, 03:13 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by Cool Steel
What a coincidence - I've just (say about 2 weeks ago) experienced exactly the same problem, with a Selle Italia Superleggero saddle on a SR Royal Extra Light seatpost. And I really couldn't explain it to myself, was wondering the same as you do. I didn't measure anything, but more less instantly decided that the rails would break [too] soon - and those saddles are d6mn expensive, so I used another one that was 80 grams heavier.

The saddle in question was planned to be sitting on what's meant to be my lightest bike, and it's still below 10 kg (in 63cm with clinchers), but I'd rather have the other saddle on it. The [red] one on it now may look flashier, but it's a lot less comfortable than the Supperleggero (which admittedly looks a bit boring in comparison, kind of a marbled brown. Anyway, you can't see that when my ass is on the thing ...).

Still have no valid explanation and would like to hear some (real) experts about this issue ...
That's funny. My replacement saddle is also red, only it's a Flite with ti rails so I believe it's in the ballpark of the Concor and quite likely lighter. I'll either stick with that or go with the Supercorsa which fits fine. I just found it odd because this seatpost seems like the odds-on candidate for what a Concor saddle would have gone on back in the day.

repechage, mine is the older steel yoke variety post and the upper clamp piece is steel as well. It's the upper piece I was worried about as it tapers down pretty thin on the ends. I don't know how likely it would be to break that piece but I'd feel foolish if I did it forcing an ill-fitting saddle when I have other options.