Old 05-17-13, 07:37 PM
Orangejuice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elanamig
I'm a beginner, and I'd greatly appreciate any advice I could get! Having no biking friends, and internet being only a "theoretical" source of info, quality advice is tough to come by. I feel very weird approaching people and asking for advice because I don't even know what I should be asking!

At the very beginning one rider approached me and told me my seat was too low! He then adjusted the seat and wow, what a difference! I'm still grateful to him to this day!

So yes, offer advice, but do it nicely. If you see someone struggling or doing something wrong, I'd think the best way would be to ask if that person is alright or needs help. If the reply is "no, I'm perfectly fine" - ride on. If the person actually complains or ask for help - go all out.

True beginners who are willing to learn will always be grateful. Some people are out there just for fresh air with no goals in mind - they don't want to be bothered. I think it's worth the risk being yelled at. Just don't take any abuse personally. But when you help someone out - that great feeling lasts for a LONG time - and it's worth all the negative looks you might get from ungrateful people.

That's how I feel about it, IMHO.
What an excellent outlook on the topic! However, I don't think you will receive any abuse simply asking "How are things going?" and easing into the conversation to see whether or not it is safe to start running your mouth. I believe starting with a smile can work wonders on someones first impression of you.