View Single Post
Old 09-10-05, 01:46 PM
tribe3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too just joined the club :grin: Did my first commute on Wednesday, and the second one yesterday (Friday). It’s a long one! (for me) - 52 miles round trip - I ride through 3 States
Reading this forum definitely made me take the leap. In fact my first commute was a leap in the dark (literally). I took off at 5:30 AM with no lights and soon found out it had been a bad move when I hit the trail and saw… nothing. 40 minutes later all was good with the crack of dawn. I was going pretty slowly to avoid harm to others and self. On the way back that afternoon I had to ask for directions a couple of times because I didn’t recognize the road now that I could see it.

For the second commute day I had front and rear lights installed, and life was good. I got and gave many “good mornings”. I also ate and hydrated better at work seeing that the day before I almost bonk returning, on a hilly section (Custis Trail) about 10 miles from home.

I didn’t think it was feasible until I “just did it”. I felt great at work - very energized - and not too tired when back at home. It’s highly rewarding. Colleagues and family look at you with awe

I don’t know if it’s sustainable with winter coming and having to wake up at 5, but in the meantime I’ll try to do at least 2 days a week.

Did I say how proud I feel of myself??