View Single Post
Old 09-10-05, 06:17 PM
chungaroo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
question about my route (new commuter)

Hey guys. I do believe this is my first post in these forums. I've been reading them a lot lately because of my increased interest in commuting and non-recreational biking in general.

I have a question about my route and my place on the road:

My ride to work takes me down Taylor Road and then north onto Jones Bridge Road taking a right. I've made a couple of test rides on the weekends and I'm still not quite sure where on the road I belong. This mile stretch of Jones Bridge Road is strange in that it is a two lane road but on one side (going north) there parts where the curb is probably more than a lane-and-a-half's distance from the line. This doesn't go on the whole way. Should I be riding on the far curb or should I take advantage of my right to use the road?

On one of my rides, I was riding a bit to the right of the line with the curb probably more than fifteen feet away from me to the right. Because the road was about to taper down into the width of only two lanes, I prepared myself by first looking back to make sure there were no cars and then merging into the lane. However, after I was in the lane with maybe thirty feet left until the road tapered, a land yacht sped past me and the passenger in the car scolded me and yelled about how much road I had.

Mind you, I live in the northern suburbs of metro Atlanta and bike commuting, from what I've seen, is non-existent.

Thanks guys; sorry for the lenghty post.