Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I am sure no one ever hit that flag, because, to be honest... to be worth the trouble and effort that flag would have to be another 12" long. Its way too short for what it aims to be!! If someone is going to pass close, they are going to pass close. Like you say, it happens every ride. But "close" is a lot further than the end of that flag I'll bet. And now you've got this flag hanging out from your bike. And you have to remember its there. You will forget and ride on an MUP or other place where you shouldn't have something like that on your bike. That's just the way it is. That's prolly why you don't use it anymore. It proved to be more hassle than it was worth. No one killed you before you got the flag and no one has killed you since you stopped using it. I wear a fluorescent jacket/jersey and I get all the room I need... mostly. There will always be idiots. In Oregon they are less idiotic than some other places I have commuted. Maybe its me, but I kind of feel that a device to tell drivers to do what they are already doing will make some decide to push some of your buttons since you have gone out of your way to push some of their buttons.

H
Flag was used 20 years ago. But today, when I use panniers, they give me more room. Panniers stick to the side, are fluorescent and are about 30 cm to the left - like that flag. That seems to work - drivers give me more room when passing. There are no MUPs in my city - only cycle lanes and, where there are none, you use car lanes. Stil, that flag shouldn't be a problem on a MUP, since it is not wider than bicycle's handlebars.

A better thing would be a flexible wooden stick, some 50 cm out, with a piece of red cloth tied on the end of it.