View Single Post
Old 05-24-13, 08:00 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by TheIVJackal
I was wondering, has anyone tried making a mix of White School Glue and some water and putting that in the tube? You could mix it to your preferred consistency and make it a little thicker than that Slime stuff. What do you think?
- Aaron
Well the glue would never seal a leak under pressure, nor was that glue ever designed to do that. If you ever noticed Slime working on sealing a leak it takes on a fiber like consistency when exposed to outside air under pressure and plugs the hole. But while Slime works great with MTB tires it falls short on road tires due to the much higher pressures the plug it tries to form simply blows out of even the smallest hole once the PSI exceeds 70 to 75 psi. Having said that, supposedly they have a new formula and have been pushing it at trade shows that will seal up high pressure tubes, I have yet to try but have no desire to.

And latex sealants tend to dry out inside the tube over time which makes it useless.

There is also a new product on the market that so far has gotten rave reviews called Fenwick's Airtight tire sealant and supposedly works fast and under high pressure; but don't ask me how it works because I don't use sealants, I've found no use for them except back in the days I lived in goathead country ,but back then the sealants didn't work for high pressure applications.