View Single Post
Old 05-24-13, 10:07 AM
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbotandem
A tandem friend in wy suggested Dean Bikes in Boulder co makes nice custom ti stems. Since john at Dean bikes lives literally thru the party wall of my town home I talked to him. indeed Dean is excited to make any length and custom clamp sizes such as 27.2 seat post in ti stems around 180g for $250. Any angle. For longer stems thicker gage ti tuning is used. my Wyoming friend has one already in the works. 2-3 Weeks fab and delivery. Contact dean bikes directly. I'll update post with picture.
Sounds like a very good value for a Ti stem. I had looked at stems from Ti Cycles Fabrication of Portland, OR, but those are $335 for custom fixed length stems (ie: non-production) and $550 for a Ti adjustable (only 193gms, w/26mm bar clamp, and only a 9cm max length!) on their perpetual eBay posting ("make an offer" results would be slightly less).

Update on the Ti Cycles eBay posting noted above, received this response to my inquiry about the adjustable stoker stem length:
The measurements listed in the auction are correct for this individual piece. We can certainly make you a stoker stem in any length or faceplate you like, they are all built to custom specifications. If you're interested please make a note to the info at the ticycles at the dot com. Sorry for the weird text, I'm sure you understand.
Still, I doubt their prices would be anything near feasible, or that of Deans Bikes.

Last edited by twocicle; 05-24-13 at 02:09 PM.