Old 09-11-05, 12:27 PM
Cyclist0094
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FarHorizon
I've reached the point where I'd like to have a frame built. I know the featues I want:

Compact geometry (This is negotiable, but still my preference)
48 cm (minimum) length chain stays (maybe even 50!)
69.5 degree head tube angle
70 degree seat tube angle
Lugged steel construction
Long top tube in relation to seat tube to fit my physiology
Road caliper brakes (or discs) but not cantilevers or V's
Lots of fork rake
Long wheelbase
Low bottom bracket hanger

Now, the questions:

1. Does any manufacturer offer a stock frame that meets all criteria? (I don't know of any)
2. If custom is needed, who can y'all recommend that has good quality and reasonable prices?
3. Are frame kits offered that would allow me to "build it myself? (yes, I can braze, and have built frames before)
4. Is such a "traditional" touring frame unadvisable from any standpoint?

Thanks!
You mean a bike like this?

I built this one in 2003 and have about 4k miles on it now.Chainstay length is 49mm, angles are 71. seat/70 head/ 55mm rake. BB height is 10.5 with 26 x 1.5 tires. Tubing is a mixture of Reynolds 531 and True Temper RC2.

The longest tapered chainstay for use on a lugged frame currently is made by True Temper at 45 cm which will give you a maximum chainstay length of 49mm with most BB shells and verticle dropouts. I have seen them made longer using un tapered tubing but then you get into clearance problems with the rear mechanicals which often mean you may have to fabricate the dropouts.

If you can braze and have some metal fabrication knowledge along with a few good files , some measuring tools and a flat surface to keep everything straight.you can build a serviceable bike frame yourself. Here is a page of DIY framebuilding resources. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/framebuild.htm

Rick