Old 05-24-13, 10:39 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 389 Posts
Originally Posted by ftwelder
This is a great thread. I have lived in a few places including Phoenix, SoCal, central cal, Phoenix, Durango, New Mexico, New York, Connecticut and VT. I have ridden a lot everywhere but the southeast. I honestly would have a hard time picking the best. I have great memories from all those places. In some respects, it balances out because being on a bike or at least near bikes adds a certain sparkle to anything. Once that is in order the rest is academic.
Frank, you gotta come to Portland. Heck, there's museum exhibits of bicycles: http://www.portlandartmuseum.org/special/cyclepedia

And scenery? This is an easy ride from downtown Portland:

I grew up in Southern California. What passes for scenery is rented- they put mountains up there every month or two to convince people that it's not possible to leave. Then they put up smug (ugly smog) so you can't see that the mountains aren't there anymore.

Portland is a little pricey, but Vantucky (across the river) is pretty affordable. My wife and I have been here 17 years, and everything is paid off: house, cars, cats, etc. Year-round riding is easy if you have fenders.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..

Last edited by Jeff Wills; 05-27-13 at 11:13 PM.