Old 05-25-13, 08:49 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by sleepyrando
Yes! I am a woman

The smallest Sweetpea stock bike (looking for stock options before resorting to custom bikes) is half an inch too high for me but its such a nice looking bike!

This has got me wondering...how accurate do we have to be with SO? Like...if my SO is about 26.5" does that mean I need a bike NO HIGHER than that height? Or is it a "thereabouts" estimate?
Standover has ZERO effect on comfort when you are on the bike. The only time it makes a difference is when you are stopped, or mounting and dismounting. If (while stopped) you can put one foot on the ground and one on the pedal comfortably with your butt of the seat, I wouldn't worry about standover.

I might even go as far as saying that if you get a diamond frame in a stock size with sufficient standover, you will be on a bike that is too small. If you really have a disproportionate leg to torso ratio, then you should be looking at mixte, custom, or dealing with "negative standover".

Standing flat-footed while straddling your bike just isn't something you will be spending much time doing.