View Single Post
Old 05-25-13, 07:02 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for the tip on ending at the valve stem. I didn't know about that. I had to work really hard to get the first side of the tire on, putting major dents in my thumbs, and on was careful to move the first side to the middle of the rim. I also used the technique of letting out air as I worked around the wheel. On the second wheel I followed FB's instructions by ending at the valve. I still needed the levers. This isn't surprising given FB's comment about whether it was hard to get the first side of the tire on the rim.

Given that I paid a lot of money for these hand built wheels this makes me unhappy. I did manage not to pinch the tube who knows what will happen on the road.

I have 650 wheels and use 23s for tires. Any ideas on tires? My Michelins only have about 2000 miles on them so I am not thrilled with changing them. But, better than being stranded. I did email the builder to let him know about the issue.

Last edited by goldfinch; 05-25-13 at 07:30 PM.